Whenever I leave the house, I always have to go over that little “mommy checklist” up in my head to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything. There’s nothing worse than getting Georgie buckled in her car seat and then having to take her right back out because I “just remembered” I left something in the house. Having my diaper bag already packed and restocked ahead of time saves me not only time, but also loads of “getting out the door” stress.
Over time, I’ve learned the essentials to have with me while on the go with baby. Hopefully this list will help you figure out what you really need and what you can leave at home so you’re not lugging a suitcase around. Keep in mind that my babe is now nine months old, so my diaper bag looked a wee bit different in the newborn months – just a wee though.
So here they are: my diaper bag must haves for every on-the-go mom.
For the Booty (AKA the basics):
1. Diapers – I’d say pack a diaper for every couple of hours you’ll be away from home. Really though, the more the merrier. You never know when something unexpected will blow. P.S. I love honest diapers! They’re all natural and Georgie rarely ever gets a diaper rash wearing them. Not to mention, the patterns are adorable.
2. Changing Pad – I use this thing ALL the time. Even if the place I’m going to has a changing table, this will be going on top.
3. Wipes – Huggies has such a great refillable wipe case. It doesn’t take up as much space in the diaper bag. PLUS, it’s a money saver!
4. Butt Paste – Just in case you left that diaper on a little too long.
For the Belly:
1. Puffs – These things have been lifesavers for me! Let’s just call them the ultimate distraction.
2. Spoon – I like to keep one of these packed. Even though I travel around with food pouches, these are convenient for food that you can order up at any restaurant or mash up at a friends house.
3. Sippy Cup – Gotta keep your little one hydrated. I just fill it up with water and it's plenty for the entire day. (Side note: I still breastfeed therefore I don’t need to carry bottles with me.)
4. Bib – Saves those cute little outfits from the obvious messes.
5. Food – I love and adore the pouches. SO easy to feed on the go with no mess. (I make most of Georgie’s food and store them in reusable pouches to take with me on the go. I’ll be blogging about that soon for those interested so stay tuned.)
For the Germaphobes (like me):
1. Diaper Sacks – If there’s no trash can nearby, or you don’t want to stink up your car or friend’s house, stick that dirty diaper in one of these and it completely seals the scent. I also use these for dirty/wet clothes – it’s a great thing to have handy.
2. Hand and Face Wipes – These are the perfect thing to use if your baby has been touching something germy (or if someone germy has been touching your baby – ya know what I’m saying?). Plus, they are gentle on baby’s skin.
3. Hand Sanitizer – Let’s just say I may apply this a little too often.
4. Kleenex – Let’s be honest; these are for me.
5. Clorox Wipes – THIS IS A MUST. I wipe down every high chair and shopping cart with these. I may or may not also wipe down tables, toys, and anything else Georgie comes in contact with… ok, not really, but sometimes.
For the Entertainment:
1. Teething Toy - Sophie the Giraffe is a FAVE over here.
2. Busy Toy – A simple rattle works wonders.
3. Musical Toy – This Baby Einstein toy was Georgie’s absolute favorite toy when she was a little younger. It just hasn’t really left the diaper bag since.
4. Pacifier – Georgie doesn’t take a paci anymore, but I loved Wubanubs when she did.
For the Body:
1. Swaddle Blanket – The perfect blanket. For real though, I use this thing as a nursing cover, towel, carseat cover, an actual blanket… Basically, it has so many uses.
2. Extra Outfit – I like to just pack an easy, one piece outfit.
3. Sweater – Grocery stores and restaurants get COLD people… But not October in Texas, just the grocery stores and restaurants.
4. Socks – So the baby piggies won’t freeze, of course.
For the Precaution:
1. Sunscreen – For Texas…and any other hot, sunny state.
2. Boogie Wipes – So you don’t have to use your finger. Ok, just kidding. But you get the point.
3. Nail Clippers – I don’t think I’ll ever understand why my baby’s nails grow so fast. I feel like I cut them everyday.
4. Bug Spray – Every time I pull this out, it’s an “I’m-SO-glad-I-keep-this-in-the-diaper-bag” moment. Babyganics has an all natural one made with essential oils and it smells wonderful.
5. Nursing Pads – I don’t use these anymore, but these definitley came in handy during the newborn years.
And that’s a wrap!
P.S. my diaper bag is from Skip Hop and I’m obsessed. I mean who doesn’t love a cute blue and white striped pattern?! Plus, I make use of every handy dandy pocket it has. I’m a fan.
Hope this makes your mommy life a little easier.